Consumer Complaints & Disputes

Avoiding Disputes

Unfortunately, problems can and do arise when tradespeople are contracted to complete new or repair plumbing works. The ideal situation is for these problems and disputes to be avoided as much as possible. MPAQ believe the best ways to avoid disputes is to keep communication lines open, always make sure everything is in writing and always make sure you use a licensed plumber, drainer or gasfitter.

As with all industries, in plumbing, drainage and gasfitting it is often the case that you get what you pay for and quite often the cheapest option is not always the best option. It is wise to always get several quotes prior to approving work. 


Communication is the key to a successful plumbing drainage or gasfitting job, whether it’s a small home repair or it’s a large scale commercial job. The communication methods may change depending on the size of the job but it’s always ideal to keep in regular contact with your contractor to check progress and discuss any queries you may have. By keeping communication lines open you can help to avoid any unnecessary confusion.

Contracts in Writing 

If you're doing building or plumbing work over $3,300, you must have a contract in place.

You should carefully check the contract details and seek legal advice before signing, to ensure you are aware of your rights and obligations. 

However, irrespective of the value of the work, MPAQ recommends entering into a written contract for all plumbing, drainage and gasfitting work before work commences. Having your understanding in writing avoids the potential for there to be a dispute over something that was only agreed to verbally.

If you need to make any changes or variations to your contract, they must be in writing and discussed initially with your contractor. Making sure all changes are documented again removes the potential for disputes.

Dispute Resolution 

In some situations, a dispute can’t be avoided. In the event of a dispute with a plumber or gasfitter, here is a guide for where to direct your complaint: 

Technical/compliance complaints Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) Click here
Payment/charge complaints Australian Competition and Consumer Commission Click here
Legal/contract disputes Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) click here
Independent accessible tribunal for disputes Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) click here
Local government area disputes Local government directory click here

Not sure if you have the right information to lodge a dispute with the QBCC? You can use the dispute checklist at the bottom of the page to work out what you will require and the steps you will need to follow.

Do you have a complaint against an MPAQ member? 

If an MPAQ member has breached the MPAQ Rules and Code of Conduct, you can complete the form below, and our team will assess your complaint further.

NOTE: This contractor must be a confirmed member of MPAQ. Please contact MPAQ on 07 3273 0800 for confirmation of membership. If the contractor is not a member of MPAQ, please contact the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) on 139 333 for further assistance.

Related Documents

MPAQ Platinum Corporate Supporters

ZIP - Platinum Corporate Supporter
Kembla  - Platinum Corporate Supporter
TSTCA - Platinum Corporate Supporter
Tradelink - Platinum Corporate Supporter
CAROMA - Platinum Corporate Supporter
Reece - Platinum Corporate Supporter
WFI - Platinum Corporate Supporter
AVG - Platinum Corporate Supporter
Toyota - Platinum Corporate Supporter
RWC - Platinum Corporate Supporter
Member Login
Training Login