The Service Trades College
The Service Trades College Australia (STC) offers industry-led apprenticeship and post-trade training in commercial plumbing gas fitting and mechanical services.
STC operates out of the state-of-the-art PICAC Training Centre in Beenleigh, Queensland and Glenwood, New South Wales. It is a leader in the design and delivery of contemporary training that meets the specific needs of the building and construction industry.
All training is designed and delivered in partnership with industry, and each year the College continues to raise the bar on skills development.
For over 12 years STC has been producing job-ready graduates who go onto enjoy long and successful careers in the major construction sector. STC proudly achieved a 90% apprenticeship completion rate, which is well above the national average completion rate of 55%. These results are a great example of what can be achieved when industry works together for a common goal.
The College's state of the art training centre includes simulated work environments that provide dynamic and practical learning in a safe setting. The centres includes:
- Modern classrooms with computer integrated audio-visual equipment.
- Fully equipped workshops with quality tools and vacuumed extraction equipped MIG, TIG and arc welding bays.
- A 4-storey tower that simulates a high-rise building allowing the service trades (plumbing and mechanical) to work together during installation, giving students a realistic feel for what they will encounter in the work environment.
- State-of-the-art Gas fitting and Hydrogen Training Room
Apprenticeships and Post-Trade Training
- Certificate III in Plumbing
- Certificate III in Plumbing (Mechanical Services)
- Backflow Prevention and Revalidation Training
- Thermostatic Mixing Valve (TMV) Training
What They Offer
- Higher than average apprenticeship completion rates.
- Small class sizes (standard 12 students - maximum 14).
- Dedicated trainer to each group for the duration of the training block (allows for continuity of training).
- Blocks are two weeks in duration (shorter period away from employers for training) and 10 Blocks in total.
- Dedicated student support mentors.
- Flat structure, which means personalised service and ability to access management.
- Opportunity for access to extra week of training (BERT Members).
- The college utilises eProfiling to monitor student progress in their units of competency. This can also be used by the employer to monitor the apprentice in his/her progress across all streams in the workplace.
- Industry specific training conducted for competencies in training package that are out of date or no longer relevant (e.g., First Aid, EWP under 11m, and Working at Heights).